To record answers to those questions, there is now a longer FAQ for clbuild, covering these topics:
- How does clbuild differ from asdf-install?
- My favourite application is not supported. How can I add it?
- Why did you get rid of all tarball-only downloads?
- It doesn't load my ~/.sbclrc!
- "clbuild lisp" doesn't seem to use my monster.core!
- Can I start the lisp with swank already preloaded?
- Can I run emacs and slime without going through "clbuild slime"?
- Is the "dependencies" file autogenerated?
- The "dependencies" file is broken!
- Why is clbuild written in shell? Lisp is so much better.
- Does it work on cygwin?
Note the slime-related changes, which allow swank startup the way Bill is explaining it in his post, but without the workarounds.